SuDS are a type of drainage designed to manage surface water runoff, typically from new developments, in a more sustainable, natural way than by conventional drainage such as pipes and tanks.
What are the benefits of SuDS?
- They reduce the risk of flooding by slowing down surface water-run off and providing storage
- They reduce surface water pollution by treating runoff through natural processes.
- They provide natural habitats for wildlife
- They provide areas of amenity
Examples of SuDS
There are many forms of SuDS including:
- Balancing ponds or detention basins
- Wetlands and reed beds
- Rainwater harvesting
- Green roofs
- Water butts